Nelson and Tasman are the sunniest regions in New Zealand. Both Tasman Bay and Golden Bay are ideal for recreational swimming, boating and fishing. They provide a popular base for nearby vineyards, beaches, rivers and mountains, mountain bike tracks and caving. The two regions include three National Parks.
Activities connected to our River Road boutique retreat in Appleby include:
• Wander around our 30 acre arboretum, truffiere and garden, and explore the nearby river, for walks. Bike alongside the Waimea to Brightwater.
• Enjoy the native birds in the trees and open spaces around the Retreat– fantail(piwakawaka), grey warbler (riroriro), paradise ducks (putakitaki), shinning cuckoo (pipiwharauroa), quail, pheasant, plovers, wood pigeon (kereru), kingfisher (kotare) and tui.
• Drive five minutes to Manuka (Rabbit Island) and enjoy the beach and inlet with a wide-ranging species of wading birds that inhabit the estuary
• Walk, cycle or drive to the Waimea River habitats in the immediate vicinity; or ride along the stock banks that follow the Waimea River to the Brightwater village (30 minutes bike ride).
• Visit nearby villages of Upper Moutere or Mapua, or the Mouteka farmers market on Sunday mornings.
• Visit local artisans producing arts and crafts or handcrafted gourmet foods.
- Walking, Tramping and Mountaineering
- Nelson Lakes National Park – 50 minutes drive from Appleby
- Abel Tasman National Park – 50 minutes drive from Appleby
- Kahurangi National Park -depending on which entry point – 35min – 1.30 minutes
- Richmond Hills – various entry points – 10 minutes drive
- Cable Bay Walkway – from the Inner Glenn – 35 minutes drive from our Retreat
- Gordon’s Knob – great day walk 40 minutes drive from our Retreat.
- Mt Arthur – the drive to the car park is approx 35 minutes. Walk up to the Hutt – or along the ridge or make a day trip to the top and back.
- The Dun Mountain – a great day walk . It is 35 minutes to entry point.
And so many more – ask Pete or Rebecca